Public and private companies, as well as not-for-profits and public institutions such as municipalities and school districts, face constant scrutiny from a myriad of stakeholders. These include competitors, regulators, the news media, shareholders, and employees. Our forensic accountants are frequently retained to aid management or an audit or governance committee in evaluating the impact of a suspected error or irregularity. With our assistance, these governing bodies may also assess the risk that internal financial personnel or the entity’s system of controls contributed to the alleged irregularities.
Hemming Morse’s experts are uniquely suited to assist counsel and business professionals in these types of investigations and related services. Our team is comprised of accounting and auditing professionals with deep and specialized experience, including: accounting and auditing standard setters, government regulator and enforcement professionals, corporate accountants, valuation experts, and experienced auditors. We bring our familiarity and expertise to our interactions with internal and outside counsel, as well as outside regulators when necessary. Additionally, our experts have provided testimony regarding these types of issues in court or in arbitration as necessary.
Our professional services include:
- Analyses requiring the application of GAAP or other financial reporting frameworks arising from business disputes, including merger or employment-related allegations;
- Complex GAAP and International Financial Reporting Standards (“IFRS”) accounting consultations;
- Bankruptcy-related investigations, including those involving questions regarding solvency and alleged fraudulent conveyances;
- Monitoring and related evaluation of internal controls;
- Royalty examinations and investigations of contract compliance;
- Services in support of Audit and Special Committee-related investigations involving questions of GAAP compliance and internal control over financial reporting, including investigations arising from Securities & Exchange Commission (“SEC”) inquiries and whistleblower claims;
- Shareholder-related investigations involving questions of corporate compliance with GAAP, IFRS and internal control over financial reporting (“IFRC”) required under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (“SOX”), including expert consulting in connection with securities class actions and other claims;
- Testimony at trials or other proceedings, including development of schedules and graphics to clearly communicate complex issues
Throughout our work, we provide an objective and knowledgeable assessment of applied professional standards, fortifying our opinions and conclusions with extensive research, data and investigation, our experts’ experience, and diverse resources across the firm.